- A female possum is called a ‘Jill’, a male possum is called a ‘Jack’, and a young possum is called a ‘Joeys’.
- A group of possums is called a passel.
- Possums can live for up to 11 years.
- Possums are nocturnal marsupials.
- Most possums live in the hollows of tall trees, but the common ringtail possum builds nests known as ‘dreys’ in bushes or trees.
- Possums mainly eat eucalyptus and other leaves. They also eat nectar, flowers and fruit.
- While possums are mainly herbivores, they have also been known to eat insects and birds’ eggs.
- Possums can make all sorts of noises, from grunts and growls to clicks, hisses and screeches.
- Most possums are solitary animals, except when raising their young, but ringtail possums tend to live in family groups of three or more.
SIZE: L12cm x H6cm
Possum – Ringtail